Monday, 11 August 2014

Carol Kilgore says Use Your Imagination!

I'm excited to welcome Carol Kilgore! Her mystery novels are full of intrigue, adventure and, of course, love. Read to the end because there's a chance to win

a $10 Amazon Gift Card.

-------------------------------------

Thanks so much, Clarissa, for hosting me while I’m out and about talking about my upcoming novel, Secrets of Honor.

When I was just beginning to write the book, I had an opportunity to talk to someone with authority in the intelligence community. My biggest fear was that, without finding a lot of details on current operations to research, which is a good thing, I would inadvertently stumble upon and write about something that gave away the farm, so to speak.

The person I spoke with said not to worry. If I could think of something, it was almost certain someone else had thought of it, too. Or would shortly. After hearing her words, I felt free to let my imagination play.

Even so, my left brain keeps telling me that if I have accidentally written the truth, Agents in Black will come calling.

My right brain says, “No worries. We can do this. Trust me.”

So I trusted.

Because my stories are set in the real world, I have to follow real world rules. I can’t have pink grass called mallomere or invisible guns (yet). Because I write crime fiction, I also have to follow certain procedures so that when the villain is caught, his or her case wouldn’t be dismissed – my good guys have to play by the rules.

But in this story, I was free to create a few gadgets and mess with those good-guy rules a little. It was fun!

I think my gadgets could exist – and maybe they do. Would the rules for agents be relaxed in certain situations? I have no way of knowing – that particular question went unanswered in the conversation with my contact. But since I thought of it….

How I’m I to know if I created a real secret gadget? Or fictionalized an actual incident?

If I did, the Agents in Black will come calling soon enough.

Trust me.

BLURB

By the end of a long evening working as a special set of eyes for the presidential security detail, all Kat Marengo wants is to kick off her shoes and stash two not-really-stolen rings in a secure spot. Plus, maybe sleep with Dave Krizak. No, make that definitely sleep with Dave Krizak. The next morning, she wishes her new top priorities were so simple.

As an operative for a covert agency buried in the depths of the Department of Homeland Security, Kat is asked to participate in a matter of life or death—locate a kidnapped girl believed to be held in Corpus Christi, Texas. Since the person doing the asking is the wife of the president and the girl is the daughter of her dearest friend, it’s hard to say no.

Kat and Dave quickly learn the real stakes are higher than they or the first lady believed and will require more than any of them bargained for.

The kicker? They have twenty-four hours to find the girl—or the matter of life or death will become more than a possibility.

INVITATION

This summer I began a contest on my website – http://www.carolkilgore.net/contest/. Each month, a different author will give away the prize. Some months it may be an ebook, some months swag, some a signed print book, or any combination of those. This month, I’m giving away a $10 Amazon gift card to one lucky winner.

The contest is simple. There's a photo and a tiny story beginning with a question at the end. All you have to do is complete the short form and answer the question. The answer can be one word or you may add to the story beginning – the choice is yours.

You're invited to enter. Click on over and answer the question about the photo. I can't wait to see your answer!

Besides my website, you can also connect with me here:
Under the Tiki Hut blog:  http://www.underthetikihut.blogspot.com
Website with Monthly Contest: http://www.carolkilgore.net

43 comments:

  1. Feel free to play Bond a little bit. If the Men in Black show up, we'll vouch for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hope I won't need to call on my bloggies to bail me out of a jam :)

      Delete
  2. Hi, Clarissa & Carol,

    That blurb makes things sound urgent, which is as it should be.

    I tell writers of Sci-Fi and Fantasy that I respect what they do because of all the world building, but playing by the rules and creating believable plot lines in the process of writing contemporary stories is no mean feat.

    Wishing you success with this one, Carol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly so, Joy. I appreciate the good wishes.

      Delete
  3. It would be funny if some of your made-up gadgets were indeed real.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it would. I have a vivid imagination LOL. But I tried to tone it down a little :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Clarissa and Carol.

    Carol, your post made me think about some of the movies I've watched over the years where they had certain gadgets and such and several years later they'd actually be out on the market. Maybe the Men in Black are waiting to see how readers react to your gadgets before they admit they are really real. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that would be awesome.

      Delete
    2. I wouldn't be surprised either way.

      Delete
  5. Clarissa - Thanks for hosting Carol.

    Carol - I sometimes think that life imitates art more than the other way round. I wish you much success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem that way a lot. Thanks for the good wishes!

      Delete
  6. So funny about the men in black coming for you. There was a Star Trek episode I watched again recently where the devices looked iPads. One time when I was watching this episode, I thought wouldn't it be cool to have a pad like that. Now if we can invent the beam me Scotty thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love the Beam Me Up, Scotty thing! When I was a teen and the phone was absolutely the most important item in the universe, I used to wish I had one to carry with me.

      Delete
  7. Hope those agents don't come calling!!
    Making up the gadgets must be fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can always tell when someone has consulted a source or done thorough research. It improves the writing quality so much and is better at pulling the reader into the folds of the story. This book sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go check my blog this week, Michael. There's a partial list of things I researched for this novel.

      Delete
  9. Great stuff Carol and any gadget could exist in the Bond world.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That would be cool if you came up with stuff that's really a secret weapon! Of course, not so cool if you get taken off in the middle of the night...ha! Congrats on the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be cool - and a little weird at the same time. And yeah...I'm not fond of middle of the night jaunts :)

      Delete
  11. Carol, if the agents in black come calling, remember the secret word, and please, leave my name out of it. Thanks! Seriously, I'm so excited about your upcoming launch, and wish you all kinds of good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, ma'am :) Thanks for your good wishes!

      Delete
  12. How fun to create to create your own gadgets, Carol! That was always my favorite part of the Bond movies—although right now I'm trying to reconcile the idea of invisible guns and Georgia's open carry laws. Wonder how that would work? No matter. And as for the Guys in Black, just remember: truth is always, always, always stranger than fiction.

    VR Barkowski


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're not convoluted things, either, but they just popped in my head fully formed and seemed to fit right in. It was great fun! One thing, I guess states wouldn't need concealed carry laws with invisible guns LOL!

      Re truth being stranger than fiction, that's kind of the scary part. With things we hear and read, I always wonder what really happened.

      Delete
  13. Ut oh, I hope they are not reading this post. I know nothing, I saw nothing. You look great in those suits.

    Carol, I do love the premise behind this story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the premise! Now, I think it's time for me to say hi to the nice people in black. And yes, they do look absolutely fantastic in those suits :)

      Delete
  14. Love your imagination - and the way you flex its muscles. And the Men in Black would just be jealous - I am sure there are waaaay too many rules in their world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they do have rules, too. I wish I knew what they were LOL!

      Delete
  15. Watch out for those agents in black, Carol!! Of course, if they did come calling, think of all the cool new material you'd get... if you were ever allowed to write again ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wouldn't be surprised at all if fiction writers inspire real-life spooks (or engineers who work for spook agencies) to come up with new gadgets. I'm always surprised to learn about the technology that really is out there.

    And yes, the men and women in black are already shadowing you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm usually surprised, too. And you may be right - I saw this strange man the other day....

      Delete
  17. it's so fun to create gadgets! great post =)

    ReplyDelete
  18. So much to think about when you write the real life cloak and dagger stuff! Great post, Carol!

    Nice to meet you Clarissa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I responded to this last week, but obviously not LOL! Maybe my response got hijacked by the NSA :)

      Delete
  19. Great to see you here, Ava! My brain is nearly always obsessing about one thing or another. So far no caravan of black SUVs has come screeching to a halt outside my door :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was just in your home city this past week Carol--it even rained a few drops while we were there. Haha.

    I love the spy and crime stuff. If you are ever in Washington DC, the International Spy Museum has tons of neat gadgets and ideas that could be incorporated into stories. We just went and the kids had a super time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been to DC, but it's been a long time. I'd love to visit the spy museum!

      Delete
  21. Good luck on your new book Carol! It sounds intriguing...

    ReplyDelete

If you don't have anything nice to say, say it anyway.

Popular Posts